Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Day I Begged to be Sent to Barahona

Today an experience that I had about 19 1/2 years ago popped into my head.  I may or may not have had a HUGE crush on this guy that served his mission in the Dominican Republic.  When I got my mission call, Crush-Guy was so incredibly excited for me.  It was great because he would tell me tons of mission stories.  And his FAVORITE area of all was this city in the southern part of the island named Barahona.

Well, I also wanted to go to Barahona.  In fact, about two seconds after I arrived at the mission home from the MTC and met my new Mission President, I told him that I really, really, really wanted to serve in Barahona.  Every chance I got, I would name-drop "Barahona".  When we finally had a chance to meet and have an interview one on one, I again told him all of the positive things I had heard about Barahona and that I would really like to serve there.  He sat me down and told me that for the time being, sister missionaries did not serve out in the campo.  They stayed in Santo Domingo.

I served in Santo Domingo from September 1991-January 1992.  In early January, we got word from the Mission President that all of the hermanas would be transferred out of the capital and sent to work in the campo.  We would be serving in the Relief Society, Young Women's, and Primary auxiliaries as counselors.  We would do something called "shadow leadership".  Although we would really be doing the functions as President(s) of the various organizations, we would be called as counselors and quietly lead behind the scenes and help the new presidents learn how to do their various callings. I was sent along with my cool companion Hna. Jensen to work in all four branches of Barahona.  BARAHONA! 

I had COMPLETELY forgotten about this experience.  UNTIL TODAY.  Barahona changed my life.  Two years after completing my mission, I ended up marrying someone from BARAHONA.  Here I am, 14 1/2 years of marriage and 3 children later . . .  What path would my life have taken me had it not been for BARAHONA?  As a side note, before I went on my mission, my minor at BYU was Japanese.  Every single solitary person in the Japanese program . . . both male and female . . . EXCEPT FOR ME . . . received mission calls to serve in Japan.  Interesting.

I wanted to go on a mission since I was at least 8 years old.  I even wrote a little story about it when I was in the 2nd grade.  I dated this guy the year before I turned 21.  Everyone thought that "we were perfect for each other" and that "we should marry".  Well, yeah, that didn't happen.  I wasn't even out of the MTC before I had been Dear Janed.  Prior to getting my mission papers filled out I needed to go to my Bishop and Stake President SEVERAL TIMES and BEG for my mission papers.  You see, I attended BYU.  Everyone (except for Heidi Hazen) went to BYU to find their eternal mate.  Everyone (except for Heidi Hazen) met and found their true love within Provo, Utah city limits.  Since I had a boyfriend, the next logical step according to both my Bishop and Stake President was MARRIAGE.

As I was going through this inner turmoil . . . mission . . . marriage . . . mission . . . marriage . . . I went to visit my grandma and also went home to visit my parents.  During Relief Society, there was this video segment shown that had the song "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go Dear Lord" playing in the background.  Of course, when I returned to BYU, we also had that same exact R.S. lesson with the video and the hymn that I DID NOT WANT TO HEAR. I KNEW deep down that I had to go on a mission.  Marriage was a good choice . . . but mission was an even better choice.

Of course, today when I went to church, I was pondering about my life.  And then, low and behold the closing hymn in Sacrament Meeting was "I'll Go Where you Want Me to Go Dear Lord".  And as I was playing the organ and trying not to choke back the tears, I started to think about what I have thought all these years was a "good choice" and what would be an even "better choice" for my future and possible eternal exaltation.  I know deep down what I need to do.  Now it's just finding the courage to "Go where (He) wants me to go".

0 comments: