
That is Sarah's diagnosis. The other part of the diagnosis is "seizures, partial complex". As far as the seizure activity goes, the seizures are happening in a specified location . . . in the frontal lobe and the parietal lobe of the brain.
Sarah hasn't had any other seizure activity that we know of during waking hours other than the isolated incident last summer. She does however continue to have night terrors. And there is a correlation between night terrors and seizures. We get to do a 24 hour EEG on President's Day. Remember that vacation I wanted? I will be chillin' for 24 hours in the comfort of the Pediatric Neurologist's office.
Dr. Davis has over 15,000 patients. Yes, that would be fifteen thousand. He has patients that come to see him from as far away as South America, Central America, and the Caribbean Islands. But the thing I absolutely love about him is he takes the time to answer our questions, explain things, etc. It's as if Sarah is his only patient and he has all the time in the world to make sure she is receiving the proper medical care that she needs. I started to voice with him my concerns regarding Sarah transitioning from Early Steps (State of Florida) to Orange County Public School system. He said "just one moment, I will be right back". He came back into the room and handed me a script that I could give to OCPS when we have our first I.E.P. meeting for the evaluation and treatment of medically necessary services Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, and Physical Therapy. Thank you Dr. Davis! Now I have my thick 4- inch binder full of documentation AND Dr. Davis's script to make sure that Sarah will continue to receive the services she needs once she transitions into the public school system.
We were inundated with information yesterday at the doctor's office. The information that stuck in my brain was A. Sensory processing and B. Reasoning skills and C. Language. Sarah is very very challenged in those areas. I have included some information that I find absolutely FASCINATING regarding the frontal and parietal lobe in the next post. Feel free to focus on the red/bold text.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
783.40 Developmental Delay/Unspecified
Posted by heidiram at 6:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
When you get a chance...I need more info!
So glad you are getting answers!
Hmmmmmm.......
better than you thought because of PDD?
Or worse because you didn't think it was this?
Keep the faith, sister!!
I'll keep checking back. I bet it feels empowering to have some answers and obviously you are getting great medical care. What a relief!
Love the photo with her Daddy.
Heidi: This is Rachel's friend Jeni. Our Lauren also has partial/complex seizures and has had them since she was 7. It has been an adventure that's for sure! But...be calm, be diligent in going to the Nuerologist, be careful around 13 and 16 when major hormonal changes happen and get her a Medic Alert bracelet. Medic Alert, Turlock CA. If you need to vent or commiserate: groseclj@libertyuhsd.k12.ca.us.
Lauren is doing great! (Both my girls have epilepsy, different kinds though....)
Oh, Lauren has a really profound stutter, probably caused by all her seizures. Make sure you get EVERY service there is available to you. Also, there is a group called TASK, Team of Advocates for Special Kids, they have some great resources for parents. It seems a little overwhelming but like eating an elephant, go one bite at a time.
Post a Comment