Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Beyond Echolalia

Sarah is progressing. Sarah is speaking. On her own. Without parroting back random phrases that she has recorded in her brain. Is there such a thing as moving beyond echolalia?

Yesterday when I went to pick her up from daycare, she came up to me and gave me a big hug and kiss. Then she whispered in my ear: "Mami, I be really really hungy." I wasn't sure if I heard correctly, so I asked her to repeat what she said. And she repeated, "mami, I be really hungy." And then continued "I want agua." O.k. thirsty, hungry...the point is, she was able to convey her message using WORDS and the words she was using were in the correct context with the given situation. This is HUGE.

And this morning when she woke up, she was looking for her lego blocks that she had left in Mateo's room last night. First, she told me "Mami, I be very very cold." And then she said, "where da bocks go? Where is she? Come on mami. Help find da bocks. Where she go?"

6 comments:

Hazen5 said...

Good for Sarah! She is making leaps and bounds with her speech. We are so proud of her!

Heather said...

Early inervention is the best intervention...yeah for Sarah.

Nortorious said...

Is it hard not to imitate her speaking back to her? It's amazing how kid's pick up language. Have you read any linguistics books?

AnnEE said...

How exciting, Heid!!

Ashley Clark said...

So happy for Sarah. Keep up the good work, Heidi!

Jessica said...

That's great...when you read blogs, and thus get involved in stranger's lives, it's such a thrill to read about a problem getting better. Yay for Sarah!