Thursday, December 2, 2010

Schedules

 


O.K. first of all, this photo has nothing to do with the post . . . other than the fact that this post is about Sarah. She took this picture at Busch Gardens the other day. It is her contribution to the PTA Reflections Contest "Together We Can". Her artist's statement how the photo relates to the theme is "The Baby Rhino goes walking with the Mommy Rhino and the Daddy Rhino. And that is together."

Sarah is a schedule gal. This year more than ever, I have felt that my life has literally been spinning out of control. But thank goodness for schedules. And routines. And kids that THRIVE on schedules and routines. As I have felt like putting the covers over my head and not getting out of bed, I have Sweet Sarah to remind me the planned events for the day. And in case I have forgotten, she will go get the calendar off the fridge and show me.

Here is a typical conversation last night as we were driving home from taking Tino to Boy Scouts:

Sarah: Mommy, who is taking me to school in the morning? (Pause)

Sarah: Papi. And what am I tomorrow? Car rider, walker or YMCA? (Pause)

Sarah: YMCA. And who picks me up from school tomorrow? (Pause)

Sarah: YOU do. And don't forget tonight is washing hair night.

If you notice, this is more like a dialogue she is having out loud with herself. Although many of her OCD tendencies have faded away with therapies and time, she continues to THRIVE on routine. And seriously? Would I be a.o.k. if she didn't wash hair on "washing hair night"? ABSOLUTELY. But she wouldn't be o.k. with it. I am grateful that my children keep me on track. What would I do if they didn't keep me accountable for the routines that I have worked so hard to establish?



 



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Linsey said...

Priceless. What a cutie.

Papa Nacho said...

Here's a new one for Sarah:

Sarah: "Papi - didn't you give that hat away like Grandpa suggested?"

It would look good on the giraffe ... a long way out of sight!

Tell Cristian I'm just jealous because I don't have one...and it's not really my birthday or Christmas coming up so no need to buy me one yet!

Padre