Tino has a big writing piece due tomorrow. They use the COOLEST writing program at his school. He writes on the computer and submits his work and IMMEDIATELY gets feedback from the computer regarding focus and meaning, content and development, mechanics, organization, language use, etc. So here it is for your reading pleasure.
Kaboom! That was all I heard as the huge, silver doors closed . I stood, hypnotized, watching my family as I glanced out the dark, black, tinted windows of the train. My mom, brother, and sister were vanishing away further and further, by the second. Was this really happening to me? "No!" I exclaimed.
This whole misadventure started on a humid, extremely foggy winter morning. It was raining cats and dogs outside. Everything all happened so rapidly, but this is what I recall. We were about to go to Utah for Christmas. The vacation was supposed to be for my whole family to have a family reunion. The quest in the airport was very suspenseful and action-packed. It was a very spine-tingling experience for me and for everyone else in my family. Little did I know that I was about to get lost.
The Orlando International Airport was packed with many holiday travelers. After we checked in our baggage, everything happened so quickly. I was so excited to visit my cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents that I suddenly started roaming recklessly away from my mom, brother and baby sister without paying any attention at all. I mistakenly stepped onto a tram leading to the terminal for my outbound flight. The huge, silver, doors closed. I glanced out dark, black, tinted windows. All I could see was my mom doing two things. First, she was yelling,"No, TINO!!!" and she was chastizing my obnoxious, 3-year old little brother. She was paying more attention to my little brother than she was to me. Then the tram inched away from my family. It wandered further and further until they were way out of sight. Then I vanished. I had no viewpoint of where I was.
Could my situation get any worse? First, I was carrying my baby sister's heavy, blue car seat. Second, it was cold and my mom was carrying my jacket. To top it off, I had vanished from my family. Could it possibly get any worse than this? I had a mixture of feelings right now. I was feeling furious and miserable. Fortunately, I fought to stay tranquil. I thought for a few moments. What would I do? Would I try to find my family? Should I report myself lost? Or should I just stand here hoping to find someone to help me out? What would I eat for food if I got hungry? I should be happy I am lost, I thought caustically. The five minutes of me pondering seemed like a day at this place. It was the longest five minutes of my life. It felt as long as a voyage to Africa. I was as worried as when I had misplaced my 2nd pair of prescription glasses in a row, a couple years ago. My final decision was to step off the tram at the next stop. So I did. Now I would have to face the daring and extremely dangerous challenge of surviving in the airport. No doubt would it be a tough, grueling mission. I might not even make it out alive. The airport was so huge I had no idea of where I even was.
The airport was filled with frazzled and stressed out travelers waiting for their airliners to arrive. Suddenly, I was having trouble breathing. Now I thought again. Would I die from having trouble breathing? Was I sick? Or was it just the amount of people here? Was this asthma? Did I feel an anxiety attack coming on? I didn't have a clue. The mixture of emotions was starting to overwhelm me. And now to top it all off, I was beginning to feel scared. I was as scared as when my mom encountered a rat a few years back. Uh oh! I thought to myself.
The airport terminal was so big that I thought I was in the city. I suddenly found myself sprinting. I dodged people carrying neatly wrapped packages, animals in their travel crates, and plants in clay pots. I even passed a few small, gray golf carts carrying passengers that were about to miss their connecting flights. I halted to a stop. I had to ask for help or now one would here from me ever again. I spotted a man dressed in a navy blue uniform in the near distance. I noticed on his uniform there was a huge golden badge. I glanced, trying to guess who it might be. It was a police officer. My chance to stay alive was now. If I did not ask for help now, who knows what would or could happen to me. I had no money. I had no food. I could starve to death or die of thirst or both.
I sprinted towards the officer and asked for help. "Sir, will you help me!?" I called out."I don't know," he replied not so sure. "What is your name?" he questioned. "Why should I tell you!!!"I snapped. "Sorry for bothering you"he answered."What airliner are you riding?"he questioned."The Ted airline." I responded."I think I can help you out." I really hoped so. All I was thinking about now was getting back to my family. I was very anxious. Then I thought. He might not find my family. So I tried not to get too excited. He took out a small, shiny black gizmo. It had a little antennae on it. It read, MOTOROLA. It must be a walkie-talkie. It was. He started talking to another officer that was somewhere else in the airport. It had to be where my family was located. I hoped so. He asked me to follow him. We were enduring for a while. And then finally, I saw my mom and the rest of my family. I saw her sobbing. Somehow the other officer found my mom. At that moment, I could tell she was very miserable. Now I would be able to travel to Utah and have a great time in the white, fluffy snow with my cousins, and the rest of my family.
I learned a great lesson from that experience. Now when I go to the airport, I know that I need to be more cautious. I know not to make that same mistake I made two years ago. And that was wandering off, not having any thought where I might be going. That little, dumb mistake nearly cost my life. This was a huge lesson to be learned. I have finally learned it. And to think this was all just a memory. I would be brain sick. Or should I just say crazy.
4 comments:
that's awesome you preserved this! he has quite an imagination...that's awesome.
If the officer had only known that a bag of Skittles would have calmed you down!
What a great summary of a very frightening moment in your life. I'm sure glad you survived because the Christmas plans wouldn't have been nearly as much fun without you.
You have a very unique talent for writing and presenting your thoughts. Wonderful display of your abilities. Keep it up.
I'm so excited to see you next week. Get that Baritone tuned up so we can play some duets!
Love you
Grandpa
in case you didn't get the email, you are totally trippin me out. i'm calling you at noon my time today. be by the phone.
I see a future blogger in Tino! What an amazing writer!!!!!!! I am glad you were reunited in the airport.
That is a really neat program that gives you feedback immediately on your writing. Maybe, I should submit my blog writing before I post ;)
Post a Comment